Thursday, February 4, 2010

No More, or at Least Less, Plastic Bags

I've written about plastic bags before, but I feel the need to do it again.  You know how you never noticed a certain type of car until you buy it and then it seems you see it everywhere?  That is what's happening to me but with plastic bags.  Before, they used to just be something of the norm, even when blowing around the streets and floating through the air (insert beautiful plastic bag cameo from "American Beauty.")  Now they stick out to me like never before.  Those things are littered everywhere.  


I've been using reusable bags, not just for groceries, but they have become handy for daily activities.  Just a few more things than I want to fit in my purse, a book, my camera, random anything.  The canvas type ones work great for that.


Of course if you forget them, it does happen, just hold on to the plastic bags and take them back to the store and put them in the plastic bag recycling bin.  Most grocery stores will take them back.


I'm watching the new Henry's Farmers Market store.  I went there yesterday and did not see any recycling bins.  I asked if they recycled the bags if people bring them in and the cashier said they do but the bin is in the back and hasn't been brought to the front.  I will also point out they do not offer paper bags, but they do sell reusable bags.  I'm keeping my eye on them though.  I better see the recycling bin available to customers when I go back!


Here are some real facts to go along with my personal rant.


1.  Production of plastic bags requires petroleum and natural gas, both nonrenewable so our dependency on foreign suppliers increases.


2.  The chemicals produced while making plastic bags are toxic and pollute the air.


3.  The energy used to manufacture and distribute thousands of tons of plastic bags creates global warming emissions.


4.  Thousands of our marine life die from getting tangled in them or eating them because they mistake them for food.


5.  Plastic bags can take up to 1,000 years to breakdown and even then the particles are considered contamination to our soil and water.


That's only 5.  Unfortunately, there are several more.  Please get a reusable bag if you don't already have one.  If you have one, remember to use it!  I'm pretty sure plastic bags will always be around, but we can decrease the amount used, and that will decrease the damage done.


Get involved and leave a comment!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts.