Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Composting is Easy!

Do you throw away countless parts of fruits and vegetables?  I know I did and always felt bad about it.  Putting something compostable into a plastic bag to put in a landfill seems like we are kind of working against ourselves.  


The Burbank Recycling Center has been offering free composting workshops on the weekends and I decided to check it out.  It was well worth it.  If you go, you get a free compost bin and if you get there without a car they will deliver it to you for free.  Oh yes, they believe in the composting.  They were all very nice and I met a few people from the community.  It was about an hour and there is no test!  


I started my compost yesterday and it took me about a half hour if that.  I pulled some dead twigs and small branches off of trees in the yard.  I took the green waste from the gardeners waste bin and I added my kitchen refuse and topped it with some dry stuff off the palm tree.  DONE!


Today I will probably throw my "not so ripe anymore" bananas in there.  I learned about all kinds of items you can put in there that I had no idea about.  You can put your coffee grinds and you can even put hair in there.  Weird, but it's true.  And in the end you get to harvest amazing soil.  They had samples of it and it's rich and grainy.  I can't believe I'm describing how beautiful soil was, but truly it was.


So my point, this is an easy way to reduce your waste.  Just put it somewhere else and do nothing and it becomes that beautiful soil I was talking about up there.  


If you want more info, hit me up with an email.  I'll tell you what I learned and how super easy it is.  Or if you google composting, millions of sites will come up too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts.